Monday, June 27, 2011

Pray. Love. (A Month Living in) Sudan.

So, I'm ashamed of myself for not blogging before now, but I think I underestimated how difficult it would be to blog while working over here.  As for Treat, he's such a seasoned veteran when it comes to mission projects that he's figured out a way portion out his time so that he can keep everyone updated on our comings and goings.  BUT... as for me, I'm a rookie.  So, with that being said, please excuse my delay.

But, let's get this thing started.  Like I said, this blog article is long overdue, but once I realized how miserably I'd failed at keeping you guys updated, I tried to time it out so that I could give you A MONTH IN RETROSPECT.  So that's what this is -- a collection of several memories from Sudan thus far.  So… Sit back, relax, grab some popcorn, and… ENJOY!

1) Terrain, Terrain!

I'm not an experienced flyer, and flying to Sudan was BY FAR the longest flight I have ever experienced in my life.  Flying into Yei, we landed on a dirt airstrip, and as we were descending, the computer in the cockpit audibly started saying "Terrain.  Terrain.  Pull up.  Pull up."  I looked down, and all I saw was green.  I laughed it off at the time, but I literally felt like my time had come -- I was going to see Jesus.  But, alas, we lived.

2) Singing.

Every morning at 6:30am in the building where the children eat, about 120 orphans gather and, acapella, sing praises to God.  It's one of the most beautiful things that I have ever heard… And is definitely quite a way to start a morning.  If I don't have this when I get back to Hattiesburg in a month, I will be supremely upset.




3) Ruben.


I can't write this without mentioning at least one child.  Ruben.  He's the child on the top.  By far the cutest child I have ever seen in my life.

Needless to say, if adoption in southern Sudan were easier, this one would be coming home with me.






4) The House.

This entire past month, my life has been consumed by working on a house.  On July 2, a doctor with his wife and 8 kids moves into this house, and we have been sprinting to finish it ever since we arrived.  I have tiled.  I have wired up electricity.  I am building mahogany and teek cabinets.  The work has been difficult and tiring, but it's so cool to literally be the hands and feet of God for a doctor who is going to save thousands of lives.  We had no idea that they would need this much help with the house when we signed up with Harvesters about 4 or 5 months ago.  And they didn't know either.  But, God's timing is perfect.

5) Cell Groups

The older students here at Harvesters are trained and are given the opportunity to disciple groups of kids and adults from surrounding villages in the Word of God.  It's so cool to see the Great Commission fleshed out through the lives of these guys and girls.




I actually had the opportunity to teach a cell group about a week ago.  About 70 kids crammed into this tiny hut to hear the story of Jesus calming the storm.  It was a beautiful thing.







Cell groups also give Nic and I the opportunity to see some of the Sudanese countryside.  This country is so beautiful.

6) The Goat

On the way back from one of the cell groups, Nic and I were surrounded on either side by thick African bush.  When the bush suddenly started shaking, I braced myself for a hyena to jump out and eat my face off, but I felt like a fool when a goat emerged from it.  Actually, an entire family of goats surfaced.  Nic laughed.  I punched him.

7) Father's Day

I should have made this a separate blog article in itself, but, oh well.  I may later on down the road, just to further flesh out my thoughts from this day.  The Sunday before Father's Day, Pastor Pushani reminded the congregation that the next Sunday was a day where we were going to be celebrating fathers.  As cold-hearted as this may sound, I naturally started asking myself… "How does a large group of orphans celebrate Father's Day?"  Many of these orphans don't have parents or have been abandoned by the fathers that brought them into this world.

The next Sunday, as I listened to 150 children who don't have daddies shouting out the words to the great hymn "I Surrender All", my question was answered.  As I held back tears in my eyes, I realized -- these children have a daddy.  In fact, these children have nothing BUT that daddy.  And they love him that much more for it.
                       
                        "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
                                                                                                - Matthew 5: 3






These pictures were drawn by the children in their Sunday school classes that morning.






8) Woodwork

I am terrible at woodworking.  Building mahogany and teek cabinets has shown me this fact.  I mess up frequently, and I have no patience when I do mess up.  Oh well… Doing it for the kingdom.  But, just for the record… Don't ask me to build your cabinets when I get back home.  My rates are high.

9) Pushani




Today, Nic and I had to say goodbye to one of the godliest women I, personally, have ever met in my life.  Pastor Pushani is leaving Sudan for about 2 months to rest and grow in the Lord.  It was tough saying goodbye to her.  What a fire and a passion she has for the Lord.  I covet that passion.

------------------

SOOOOO, yeah… That's about it up till now.  Hopefully, in the coming month, I'll update more than once.  At least that's the goal ;-) 

Thanks for listening.  I wanted to add more pics, but the internet connection here really isn't capable of uploading too many of these pictures  Keep Sudan in your prayers.  In 2 weeks, this great place will be the newest nation in the world.  May that day be a peaceful day.

Ben

1 comment:

  1. Yo dude, praying for you guys. It's nostalgic to see pics of the kids and the Harvesters compound. Can't wait to talk when you guys get back.

    ReplyDelete